Plumber- Buildings and Grounds - N193-2324
POSTING NUMBER: N193-2324
POSTING DATE: October 25, 2023
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
POSITION: Plumber – Buildings and Grounds
REPORTS TO: Assistant Director of Facilities and/or Maintenance Manager/Designee
Plumber’s general responsibilities are to troubleshoot repair, replace or renovate any and all plumbing systems throughout all the buildings assigned to the Hartford Public Schools.
· Troubleshoot, repair, replace or renovate all plumbing systems including all forms of flush valves, faucets, drain assemblies, supply tubing, toilets, urinal, drinking fountains, hot water heaters, motors and pumps, electric solenoid valves, actuators, pressure reducing valves, gas valves, gas pressure regulators, sprinkler system, roof drain assemblies, drainage waste and vent repair and replacement consisting of cast iron, PVC (sched. 40 & 80) and or ABS, water supply repairs consisting of copper and PEX, soldered fittings and pro-press fittings.
- Perform any other related work assigned by Assistant Director of Facilities or Designee.
QUALIFICATIONS/SKILLS AND ABILITIES OF THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- Must possess State of Connecticut Trade License P-2, P-1 preferred.
·Must have five (5) years’ experience as a commercial/industrial plumbing journeyman.
·Must possess a valid CT driver’s license and willingness to use own vehicle as well as transporting trade tools and limited materials within reason.
· Must be willing to respond to emergency work that might emerge outside of normal work schedule.
· Proficient knowledge of plumbing materials, tools and techniques of plumbing trade.
· Knowledge of national and local plumbing code and any other state, local or Federal regulations for plumbing work.
· Ability to read and work from blueprints.
· Ability to understand drawings and specifications for small plumbing projects.
· Skilled in use of hand and power tools, testing devices applied in the plumbing trade.
· Must be able to work within difficult time constraints and under stressful conditions.
· Must work and appear in an orderly and professional manner.
· Must provide all necessary hand-tools as required to perform all plumbing repairs and installations.
· Knowledge of sprinkler systems, heating systems a plus.
· Must possess knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety protection of the trade together with the specific requirements imposed upon workers in the performance of work by the Occupational Safety and Health Act.
· Must possess the ability to work at heights at or greater than 30 feet and in assignments that requires bending for long periods of time.
· Must have the ability to lift 50 lbs.
· Must be capable of working both independently and as a team member.
SALARY AND TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Twelve-month work year; forty-hour workweek. Monday through Friday 7:00AM -3:30PM.
May be required to work second shift hours 3:00pm to 11:00pm. Salary in accordance with Local 566, AFL-CIO 2023-2024 Schedule 84 $63,678 - $68,776.
American Federation of State, Municipal and County Employees, AFS-CME, 2021-2025.
The Board recognized Local 566 American Federation of State, Municipal and County Employees, AFSCME as the exclusive bargaining unit for this position.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: To be considered, all internal and external applicants must fully complete a Hartford Public Schools’ online application, which can be accessed on the Careers page of the district website, https://www.hartfordschools.org/careers/careers/ or through our Applicant Tracking System, Nimble, at https://app.hirenimble.com/jobs/hartford. Candidates’ application and supporting documents will be reviewed. Candidates who advance through the initial review will be notified and placed in the pool for consideration by hiring managers. Candidates will be contacted directly by hiring managers for interviews.
Hartford Public Schools (Hartford, Connecticut) is a diverse community of educators and approximately 16,000 students attending 39 distinctive magnet, community, and neighborhood schools, located in the capital city of Connecticut. We are committed to being a leader in innovative urban education, cultivating equity and excellence for all of our students, closing the opportunity gap, and preparing students for college and life.
Hartford Public Schools acknowledges that systems of injustice exist in our nation and our community. Our district is committed to addressing systemic barriers to create a culture of equity that benefits all students. We are committed to recruiting, developing, and retaining a diverse team of culturally competent educators. We strive to have our team reflect the different perspectives of our families and community so that we can work together to overcome obstacles, close the opportunity gaps, and prepare our students for continuous success.
HPS recruits and selects diverse educators, who are committed to our instructional vision to develop students’ individual, academic, social, and emotional capacities and growth within the classroom and beyond. Highly talented and qualified candidates with a passion for urban education, a commitment to our Hartford students, families, and community are strongly encouraged to apply immediately!
Why Should You Choose Hartford Public Schools?
Hartford Public Schools is seeking excellent candidates and wants to provide the best experience for you. We have put together a comprehensive package of benefits and incentives, including:
● Competitive salary
● Career growth opportunities
● Tuition reimbursement
● Rich health care plan
● Professional development
DIVERSITY AMONG US: Hartford Public Schools is a diverse community of scholars and staff; racially, socioeconomically, culturally, and more. Among our approximately 16,000 students, there are 88 languages spoken; 22% of our student population are English Learners. Over 85% of the population are students of color. At Hartford Public Schools, we work deliberately to recruit and hire staff of various backgrounds. Currently, our staff identify as:
● American Indian: 0.09%
● Asian: 2.02%
● Black: 24.07%
● White: 46.26%
● Hispanic: 24.24%
● Other: 1.11%
● Not Reported/Unknown: 2.22%
REPRESENT HARTFORD: The state of Connecticut is seated on the northeastern seaboard. Hartford is within an hour’s drive of the coastline and is centrally located between New York City and Boston. Hartford is one of America’s oldest and most historic cities, made up of 17 unique neighborhoods rich in history and diversity. It is commonly known as the “insurance capital” due to its prominence beginning in the 19th century as home to many of the most prestigious insurance companies in the U.S., many of which still call Hartford home today. The city features world-class museums, entertainment, and sports venues and is home to several major companies. An array of restaurants reflecting cuisines from all over the world attract people from far and wide, and more than 200 arts, heritage, and cultural organizations in the Hartford region provide hundreds of events year-round. In addition, several universities and colleges are in Hartford and the surrounding towns, allowing easy access to advanced degree programs.
An Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, M/F/V/D